My little sister, Aly, lives with her boyfriend, Ryan, in Asheville, North Carolina. Last July Sean and I rented a car in Manhattan and drove for more than 13.5 hours (690 miles) to visit them!
We loved our road trip, which spanned eight states – most of which we had never seen. We stopped in Lexington, Virginia for lunch on the way down and in Johnson City, Tennessee for coffee on the way back up, and took quick breaks in several other little towns in between.
Aly and Ryan live in a cool house in a woodsy neighborhood in Asheville.
During our stay, Sean and I got to:
- Explore the historic and fabulous Biltmore Estate, which is just outside of town. We toured the inside and the gardens, and tried the wine made from grapes made on the property. I couldn’t take photos inside, but trust me – that place is spectacular!
- Float down the French Broad River during an Independence Day rainstorm (not pictured, for aquatic reasons)
- Play with Avi, Aly and Ryan’s cute pup
- Hike in the Appalachians
- Eat fantastic food! Those biscuits were dreamy! And Asheville is great for all the world’s cuisines, as well as excellent microbrews.
- Hang out with the band (Ryan is in an awesome band called River Whyless, and we got to hang out with all the members. Click here for their fabulous NPR Tiny Desk Concert.).
- Take a Pure Barre class (Aly is an instructor!).
- Experience the Blue Mountain Parkway (the cabin you see in the slideshow is where Aly and Ryan lived when Aly first moved to Asheville)
We had such a great time experiencing the Asheville lifestyle. We understand why Aly and Ryan love it so much!