Oh little green lentil, how I love thee. This is Part II in what will be a long series! In case you missed it, here’s the original “Ode to the Lentil.”
Today, after a pleasant Petaluma morning run, I made myself a scrumptious lentil breakfast burrito and some coffee with almond milk and nutmeg (it was my fiancé who convinced me that nutmeg sprinkled on a hot beverage needn’t be limited to egg nog!).
In case you’d like to give this meal a whirl, here’s the non-recipe (non-recipe because it’s hardly scientific and 100% customizable):
Lentil Breakfast Burrito
– 1 tortilla (I like Trader Joe’s Gluten Free Brown Rice Tortillas — but you have to heat them up because their texture is a little weird!)
– 1/2 avocado, sliced
– 1 scoop of cooked lentils (I made these ones last night with salt, oregano, cumin, and chilli flakes)
– 2 organic cage-free SBEs (soft-boiled eggs) – or fried or scrambled or scrambled or no eggs at all!
– some steamed spinach (or raw would be good too)
– salsa to taste
– salt and pepper to taste
1. Start the water to boil the eggs. [*Bourne Hungry Tip! Take the eggs out of the fridge and place them by the stove so they warm up while the water comes to a boil; warmer eggs are less likely to crack when you put them in the water!] Once the water is boiling, place the eggs in carefully and boil for 6-8 minutes, depending on how soft you want your SBEs.
2. While the eggs are cooking, put your tortilla in a frying pan. The rice ones don’t stick, but be careful with flour or corn ones — a little Pam might be a good idea.
3. Pile on the lentils, salsa, and avocado and heat it all up on medium-low.
4. Steam the spinach on the stove with a little bit of water in the bottom of a saucepan, or just pile some raw leaves on the tortilla.
5. Once the eggs are cooked, put the tortilla concoction on a plate, crack and peel the eggs, salt and pepper to taste, and there ya go!